Trump defends taking FEMA funds for border security

first_imgPresident Trump defended his administration’s reallocation of funds from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to address the ‘immigration crisis’ at the southern border.’He faced backlash as Hurricane Dorian approached the U.S. mainland.The president said the shifted funds wouldn’t be an issue in responding to Dorian, citing the storm’s change in path farther east.“Originally this was going to be a direct hit into Miami,” Trump told reporters during an Oval Office briefing on the hurricane. “We need help at the border,” he added.Last week, the Trump administration announced it would shift $271 million from within the Department of Homeland Security, including emergency relief funds, to pay for more immigration detention beds at the southern border.Democrats have slammed the decision warning it would hinter relief efforts in the U.S.The president fired back, adding, that the government would be prepared to assist Georgia, South Carolina, and other states.He also noted that Florida appeared to avoid the worst of Dorian after the storm’s path tracked away from the mainland.“We can predict the path, but so far the predicting has been really tough with this particular hurricane,” Trump said.Hurricane Dorian was downgraded to a Category 2 storm on Tuesday and moved towards the Florida coast after coming to a standstill over the Bahamas.The Bahamas seemingly sustained the worst of the storm so far with at least five people dead.“The U.S. sent a disaster response team to the Bahamas after the hurricane hit the islands, reportedly resulting in the deaths of at least five people,” the U.S. Agency for International Development said Tuesday.last_img read more

Read More →

UST recovers from opening day loss, blanks UE for first win

first_imgMOST READ LATEST STORIES Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next University of Santo Tomas handled University of the East with ease and came away with a 25-17, 25-15, 25-21 victory in the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament Wednesday at Filoil Flying V Centre.ADVERTISEMENT The Golden Tigresses lost their season-opener to defending champion De La Salle in an epic five-setter, 25-20, 17-25, 25-22, 15-22, 15-8, but regained composure in their second game to improve to 1-1.UST was in control of the game from start to finish, and held a comfortable 21-19 lead in the third set after Cherry Rondina found the open spot in the middle of the UE defense.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkUE scored on back-to-back hits with Seth Rodriguez to cut the deficit to 24-21 with a service ace but Rondina ended UE’s persistence and dropped the hammer in the middle of the Lady Warriors’ side of the floor.“This was a good bounce back win for us after coming from that five-set loss, said UST head coach Kung Fu Reyes in Filipino. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NCAA men’s volley: Perpetual earns finals berth after elims sweep Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases “We just have to be consistent because in the first two sets we really performed well, but when we got to the third set we kind of relaxed.”Rondina finished the game with 20 points to lead all scorers while Dimdim Pacres added eight points for the Golden Tigresses.Mary Ann Mendrez led the 0-2 Red Warriors with 10 points while Judith Abil added nine.UST was on the offensive through out the game and scored on 40 spikes, 13 more than what UE was able to muster, while also enjoying 26 free points due to the Lady Warriors’ 26 errors.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacsonlast_img read more

Read More →

IMF Endorses US$130M to Fight Ebola

first_imgThe Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has stepped into the fight against the deadly Ebola virus, approving a total of US$130 million in emergency financial assistance to Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, the three West African countries at the center of the epidemic. The IMF is making its presence felt as the death toll from Ebola rises in the sub-region with seriously crippling economic impact. Liberia has announced that it would need about US$375 million dollars to fight the Ebola virus and restore its economy.Finance Minister Amara Konneh told reporters Monday, September 29, that government’s development program crafted under the Agenda for Transformation (AfT) is under serious threat as it can no longer afford to finance most of the projects, due to the economic impact of the Ebola crisis. Budget revenue has already declined by about 20 percent. According to the IMF, the US$130 million emergency financing arrangements amounts  to 25 percent of each country’s quota at the IMF.  The break down is as follows: for Liberia, the Executive Board approved a US$48.3 million augmentation of an existing arrangement under the ECF-the extended credit facility. At this point Liberia is the country most affected by the epidemic, which has overwhelmed its capacity to respond. In addition to the heavy human toll, the outbreak is having a severe economic and social impact that could jeopardize gains from a decade of peace. Based on preliminary estimates, real GDP growth is projected to decline from 6 percent to 2.5 percent in 2014 as the key sectors of the economy, namely mining, services and agriculture, are all severely disrupted.As for Guinea, the Board approved US$41.4 million under the Fund’s Rapid Credit Facility (RCF). The Ebola outbreak started in Guinea by end-2013 and intensified sharply from July, although it has been hit somewhat less hard than its neighbors. The country’s short-term economic outlook has deteriorated substantially, with 2014 growth expected to fall from a 4.5 percent projected at the beginning of the year to 2.4 percent. Guinea is making satisfactory progress under its existing arrangement under the Extended Credit Facility (ECF) but will receive emergency funding under the RCF arrangement because the most recent review under the ECF arrangement is pending.Sierra Leone, for its part, will receive a US$39.8 million ECF augmentation. Ebola has spread to the entire country, severely affecting the social and economic fabric. Growth is slowing—from 11.3 percent to 8 percent this year.  Based on the August estimate, inflationary pressures have intensified, and new balance of payments and fiscal financing needs have emerged.The IMF Executive Board said it approved the financing on an accelerated emergency basis in order to help cover a substantial portion of the financing gap in the three countries, provisionally estimated to total some US$300 million that has emerged from the humanitarian crisis. The Fund recognized that these  countries are grappling with the Ebola outbreak with fragile institutions and ill-equipped medical systems, and are facing substantial revenue shortfalls and additional spending needs to combat the outbreak.“The involvement of the IMF in the crisis reflects the mounting macroeconomic impact of the crisis on countries that were making strides in overcoming years of fragility and instability. The additional financial assistance to help combat the epidemic fits within the Fund’s mandate to support its member countries in times of economic and social stress as they address balance of payments and fiscal financing needs,” the Fund said in a statement.Growing economic impact“The Ebola outbreak in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone has already cost too many lives,” said IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde. “This humanitarian crisis could also have deep economic consequences. The governments of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone requested IMF support to enhance their efforts to contain this unprecedented epidemic that is disproportionately affecting the most vulnerable in their populations. The IMF is working hard with the authorities of the affected countries and their development partners to ensure that the outbreak is quickly brought under control and to assist the economic rebuilding effort that must follow.”“A health crisis of this magnitude inevitably will have a severe economic impact, and it is the responsibility of the IMF to assist countries to remain on their feet,” said Dr. Antoinette Sayeh, Director of the IMF African Department. “We are working closely with our counterparts in all three countries to provide the financing and advice that can make a difference in their struggle against Ebola,” the former Liberian Finance Minister added.Infection Pace QuickensThe Ebola epidemic—a hemorrhagic fever that originates in wild animals—emerged in Guinea early this year and subsequently spread to neighboring Liberia and Sierra Leone. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), about 6,000 people are known to have been infected in the three countries (with a handful of cases in Nigeria and Senegal, where the virus now appears contained) and over 3,000 people have died.However, the actual toll is likely to be higher, as there is evidence of substantial under-reporting of cases and deaths. Furthermore, the pace of infection has accelerated in recent weeks, particularly in Liberia and, to a lesser extent, in Sierra Leone.The three affected countries have struggled to mount an effective defense against Ebola’s spread in large part because of extremely limited public health capabilities. An increasing number of international organizations have become involved, including the United Nations and WHO, the World Bank, the African Development Bank, and leading nongovernmental organizations such as Doctors without Borders and the Red Cross. Governments as well as private local and international donors also have committed significant resources.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

3 Guyanese awarded scholarships to pursue Masters’ degrees in Mexico

first_imgThrough a collaboration between the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Embassy of Mexico, three Guyanese students have been awarded full scholarships to pursue Masters of Science degrees (MSc) in Geosciences and Natural Resources Management in Mexico.The students — Paul Bassoo, Ramish Baichoo and Jainel Bowen — will travel to Mexico later this month to begin the 18-month programme.On Wednesday last, the students and the Ambassador of Mexico to Guyana, His Excellency Ivan Roberto Sierra, paid a courtesy visit on subject minister Raphael Trotman, who presented the students with their official acceptance letters to theHis Excellency Ivan Roberto Sierra and Minister Raphael Trotman pose with the three Guyanese studentsInstituto Politecnico Nacional (IPN), where they will be pursuing their studies.On behalf of the Government of Mexico, Ambassador Sierra expressed delight at being able to support the students, who have not only received full scholarships, but will also receive airfare and other essentials besides insurance to cover their time in Mexico during their 18-month stay.Minister Trotman welcomed the continued working partnership between the two Governments, which in recent times has seen successes in the paddy trade and other investments.He reminded the recipients of their new role as ambassadors of Guyana, and encouraged them to take full advantage of the opportunity to not only study, but embrace the diverse culture to which they will be exposed.The scholarship awards are part of ongoing efforts at collaboration between the Mexico and Guyana Governments. An officer from the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNRE) is currently pursuing studies in Mexico, and four (4) other officers from the MNRE are scheduled to travel to Mexico for capacity building during August, 2018.last_img read more

Read More →

Huskies collect over 17,000 pounds of Food

first_imgPhoto:  This was only the beginning as the Huskies filled the bus for the Sally Anne – Jen Strachan/Energeticcity.caIt finally warmed up enough for the Huskies to hold their annual food drive for the Salvation Army.- Advertisement -All day Sunday members of the Huskies and other local hockey teams went around town and collect food for the Salvation Army.  This year the team collected 17,400 pounds of food, just about the same amount as last year.All the food will go to the Salvation Army and will be used to keep the food bank open throughout the year.  Fill the Bus was originaly scheduled for December but had to be delayed twice because of cold weather.last_img read more

Read More →

Community Groups seek funding from City Council

first_imgFort St. John City Council held a Committee of the Whole meeting on Monday, where community groups continued to seek funding in the City’s budget.First up was the Whiskey Jack Nordic Ski Club, which was hoping the city would continue to provide a $1,500 grant to the Club. This grant in the past has been used for the upkeep of trails at the Links Golf Course. Without the funding, the club would have to either find sponsors or cease operations at Links.- Advertisement -The North Peace Historical Society, which owns, manages and maintains the Fort St. John North Peace Museum, is seeking an increase in their Base Budget Grant from $10,000 to $15,000. The Museum has recently been expanded, and with this expansion, their utility costs have increased as well as costs associated with researching and installing new exhibits which are putting stress on its financial situation.With the lagging economy, the Museum’s main sources of income, which are admission and revenues from the gift shop, are not generating enough revenue to sustain the Museum. Also, funds received from B.C. Gaming and Bingo has decreased substantially from $22,500 to $18,000 to their current amount of funding which is $10,500.Last up, was the Gradfest Society, which is hoping the City will fund them $2,200 as they have in the past for the Grade 12 graduation ceremony. Gradfest uses these funds to rent a venue for the ceremony. In the past they had used the Kids Arena, but they held the event last year in the Fort St. John Curling Rink. They have booked the Curling Rink once again for 2011.There will be one more Committee of the Whole meeting to help deal with base grant funding requests. It will be held on Nov. 2. City Council hopes to deal with the requests by the end of the year.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Cunliffe gets equalizer for Chivas USA

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CARSON – Rookie forward John Cunliffe scored in the 82nd minute to give Chivas USA a 1-1 tie with the Houston Dynamo in an exhibition Saturday. Cunliffe, Chivas USA’s first-round choice in the MLS SuperDraft out of Fort Lewis College, beat Dynamo goalkeeper Zach Wells one on one from seven yards out. last_img

Read More →

Arrest warrant issued for boy in attack

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER — An arrest warrant has been issued for one of six boys charged in connection with a September assault by 15 to 20 young men on two boys walking home from Knight High School. Juvenile Court Judge Richard Naranjo issued the bench warrant after the 15-year-old failed to appear for a court hearing Thursday, officials said. The victims, both Latino, were hit and kicked by the assailants, who were black and ranged in age from about 15 to 22 in what authorities said was a racially motivated attack. Six Knight High students have been charged with assault and hate-crime allegations.last_img read more

Read More →

Day camp for children during Spring Break in Fort St. John

first_imgChildren can look forward to daily activities on the pitch, trips to Centennial Park, the North Peace Leisure Pool, North Peace Arena and the Fire Hall to name a few.“So come join our leaders for game,s crafts, swimming, playing, and non-stop fun,” writes the city’s Recreation Programmer Marissa Jordan. “This is sure to be a memorable Spring Break for all campers!”The deadline to register is March 18, 2015.- Advertisement -The day camp will run March 23 – 27, 2015 at the Kids Arena Field House – located on 9615 96 Avenue, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.Registration calls are being accepted by the Pomeroy Sports Centre at 250 785 4592, or the North Peace Leisure Pool at 250 787 8178.last_img read more

Read More →

Vacancy: Donegal Centre for Independent Living seek Services, Support & Development Officer

first_imgThe Donegal Centre for Independent Living (DCIL) require a Services, Support & Development Officer.This is a fixed term contract (FTC) for one year to co-ordinate and ensure the delivery of a high quality Personal Assistant support service to DCIL Leaders, whilst also playing an integral part in the development, negotiation and nurturing of future projects and services within the organisation.JOB DETAILS Contract Type: FTC for 1 year – 39 hour weekLocation: Based at DCIL Headquarters at Ballymacool House, Letterkenny, County DonegalESSENTIAL CRITERIA• A 3rd level qualification to degree level and • A minimum of 2 years’ experience working a similar service/organisation• Applicants must have a full driving licence or have access to transport• Knowledge of current disability issues/challenges within the Disability Sector/Service locally and nationallyDESIREABLE* Experience in the provision of services under a HSE Service Level Agreement TO APPLYCV and Cover Letter to be submitted by email to: bernie.walsh@donegalcil.com or posted to our offices to: Bernie Walsh, HR Officer, DCIL, Ballymacool House, Ballymacool, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal. Closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday 28th November 2019 @ 1pm.Due to the anticipated volume of applicants shortlisting will apply. DCIL is an Equal Opportunities Employer.Please note interviews are scheduled week beginning 2nd December 2019. Vacancy: Donegal Centre for Independent Living seek Services, Support & Development Officer was last modified: November 19th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Centre for Independent LivingjobletterkennyVacancylast_img read more

Read More →